If the middle of winter during COVID has you wanting to completely redecorate your home while you’re cooped up inside, don’t break the bank. Here are some tips from a professional organizer who happens to be a tightwad:
- It’s no surprise that my first recommendation is to get rid of the clutter. Some of your clutter you may not even realize is there, as you’ve been looking at it or proudly displaying it for years. That awesome collection of VHS or DVDs that you have filling one wall of the family room? Maybe it’s time to replace them with some photos or artwork?
- Is there a room or space that you could switch up? For example, switching a spare bedroom with your office or switching your dining room for your living room. Try it out.
- Consider rearranging the furniture. If you have trouble picturing where it would go, ask a friend whose home decorating you love, and let him/her decide. Or take a photo and post it to your network on social media for some out-of-the-box ideas you could try.
- Swap furniture with other rooms of your house for a completely different look. Or, work in tandem with a friend or other family member to swap out some accessories and artwork with you for a fresh look.
- Replace smaller accents, lamps, rugs, artwork, etc that is less expensive than redecorating the entire room. Consider shopping online garage sale sites or Facebook Marketplace.
- Pick a new color and paint the room, or update the coat of paint that’s in the room already.
- If painting the room is too much, paint an accent wall. Wallpaper accent walls are making a comeback too, or use PInterest to find some creative methods for accent walls or small spaces.
What’s your trick to decorating on a dime? Please share on our Facebook page.