We wait all winter for fresh produce and then it seems like all of a sudden there’s an overabundance of lettuce and microgreens. The flavor and nutrition is hard to beat, but lettuce brings the challenge of using it up before it goes bad. Unlike other veggies that can be frozen, lettuce can’t be tossed in the freezer for a later use.
In some countries, lettuce an ingredient in hot dishes. However, you’ll be hard pressed to find many recipes calling for warm lettuce in the US. With some planning, you can incorporate lettuce into many of your meals without getting sick of it. Yes, a salad is great, but can get mighty boring. Here are some ideas to get rid of the boredom.
A Few New Ways to Use Up Lettuce You’ll Love
- Grill steak, top with microgreens and add a warm gorgonzola cheese sauce to accompany both the steak and greens.
- Make some shawarma chicken, chop, and add lettuce to a warm naan bread.
- Warm falafel with fresh lettuce, tomatoes, and tzatziki sauce in pita bread is delicious.
- Taco salad requires a large amount of lettuce and is versatile enough to let you use up a bunch of ingredients.
- Grilled chicken ranch wraps are a quick and easy lunch that you can add some lettuce.
- Make taco pizza and top with fresh lettuce, tomato, onion, and shredded cheese.
- Plan a salad bar so everyone can build their own with meats, cheeses, nuts, seeds, croutons, berries, hard boiled eggs, and other fresh veggies to use up like tomatoes, onions, peapods, etc.
- Nothing beats a california burger with lettuce, tomato, and onion!
- Thai lettuce wraps are so good and very easy to make.
- Fry up some bacon and make BLTs…Yumm!
- Shrimp spring rolls with crisp lettuce, rice noodles, and peanut dipping sauce.