Everybody has a junk drawer. They actually serve a couple of purposes, so it’s important to devote a few minutes to organizing junk drawers and here’s why… First, it is an easy access place to grab frequently used items that don’t really fit in any other room or drawer such as scissors, pens, tape, screwdriver, etc. Second, junk drawers are a place to quickly get rid of small, misc clutter on your counters that you’re not sure where else to put at the time. However, junk drawers fill up over time and both reasons to use them become difficult. Full drawers are hard to dig through to find what you need, and overly full drawers don’t even shut!
Tackle organizing your junk drawers today
- Set the timer for 10 minutes!
- Make piles of like items that you know belong in the drawer.
- Throw away items that aren’t needed (like replacement button on a shirt you no longer have) or things that are outdated (like a coupon you intended to use).
- Make another pile of items that you need to keep, but definitely belong somewhere else in the house.
- Put the items that need to stay in the junk drawer back in and close it.
- Now, set the timer again, make decisions where the things go, and return them to their proper spot. This is a great way to pull the kids in to help put the random lego, marble, dice, or puzzle piece that was found while cleaning back to its rightful spot.