With the end of the school year fast approaching, teachers and students will be preparing the classroom for the summer break. This means kids are asked to clean out their lockers and desks, take home extra supplies and artwork, and other miscellaneous items that have accumulated over the past nine months.
- Cleaning the school is great!
- Decluttering the classroom is essential!
- Filling your home with junk is a nightmare!
Hauling home bags and backpacks filled with papers, tablets, odds and ends, crafts, sweatshirts, Kleenex boxes and gym clothes can make a mom (or dad) dizzy. The clutter at home can quickly add-up, so you need a plan to make sure it isn’t laying in the same place next September! Who wants to step around piles of stuff all summer?
What to Do With School End Clutter
- If it should be in a pair and isn’t, throw it away. Chances are the gym sock or mitten are long gone! Take them directly to the garbage or rag pile from the backpack.
- Put the kids to work saving unused sheets of paper from the multitude of semi-used tablets. Save one sample of creative writing for a memory book, pitch the tablet and staple or clip unused sheets for scratch paper. If you do campfires, put excess papers in the fire-starter paper pile.
- Throw crayons that are worn stubs or broken, and add any remaining good ones to the crayon container/art supply box.
- Spend time reviewing all the artwork with your kids so they get to show it to you, share how they made it, and tell about the process. Then ask to select their favorite piece to display on the frig or give to a grandparent. Be discrete with the rest, but remember you can’t keep it all!
- Worn, smelly, ripped, or stained lunch boxes, back packs and bags that aren’t likely to get used again need to be thrown. If they are in good condition, but you know your child won’t use them again or will have outgrown the design, donate right away!
- Recycle dried-out markers. Crayola will pay for shipping. Here’s how.
Keep going through things until they are put away, re-purposed, donated or thrown.