Planning to carve a few pumpkins in the coming days? Don’t throw the seeds in the garbage!
5 ideas to give new purpose to pumpkin seeds:
- Clean and dry the pumpkin seeds for a tasty and healthy snack. Here is a recipe on making pumpkin seed snacks.
- Feed them to the birds. Why buy bird seed for the blue jays and cardinals when they love pumpkin seeds. Separate the seeds from the mush, give them a rinse and let them dry.
- Keep them to grow new pumpkin plants next fall in your garden or give to a gardening friend. Again, you need to clean and dry them so they don’t rot. Here’s is an article on how to prepare and store your pumpkin seeds.
- Search Pinterest for a fun pumpkin seed craft or decorating idea like this one.
- At the very least, compost your pumpkin “innards” and don’t put them in the trash.